Saturday, January 8, 2011

Just because we've hit the ground, doesn't mean we're not still falling

^Cool points if that line is recognized. 

1. Since I'm jumping aboard the Nat Portman bandwagon and still feeling the movie rush, my initial thoughts on No Strings Attached based on trailers: seems entertaining and could be pretty funny, but entirely predictable. Two friends try to be fuck-buddies until one starts wanting more in terms of a relationship, then the deal's off. I'm prrrrrreeeetty sure it's safe to say the characters Kutcher and Portman play are gonna end up together, not until of course they go through some seriously melodramatic conflicts.

Then there's the thing about the two trailers, one more PG than its R-rated counterpart. The green trailer connotates an rather innocent romantic comedy about the situation, while the red trailer reveals the film's gonna show alot more than that, if you catch my drift. I don't know.

...oops, just checked, and definitely did not catch the R rating for the film. Anyways.

What's ALSO greatly amusing is that in trailer you get a glimpse of a scene where Kutcher-character brings over a mix-CD for Portman-character and her friends, and it's dubbed as a "Period Playlist," aptly named because she and her roommates are experiencing "Shark week." (Why Shark week? Look up a diagram of a shark brain. Now a female reproductive system. Coincidence? I think not.) And that playlist is actually listed on the movie's website! Hilarious.

2. I think things are looking up, and are progressing as they should be. Discovered an unfinished first draft of a project that I now decided to undo/destroy. Realized winding the strands back into neat balls was too much work and not worth the effort and decided to haphazardly yank at the line until the whole thing unravelled into a messy pile. Satisfying. The first thing I'd like to do when I return is destroy what I can of that meaningless garbage in that box lurking beneath my bed, and set fire to the remains. Mm, toasty.

3. Hearing my Dentist and her assistant briefly discuss the marital status of other staff was amusing. Maybe women never change? Hah. Also, the nitrous oxide they were giving me was pretty weaksauce. Didn't feel float-y, light, or the urge to laugh at all. Pretty disappointing.

4. If it weren't for certain issues and concerns, I feel like I'd never want to speak to you again. But, the aforementioned bind me as well as a certain respect and/or fear of you. Twice now I've heard "I hope one day you'll understand what I did." Well at the moment, I can't. Am I supposed to one day do the things you did and I'll understand then? I feel like my views on long-term relationships are completely screwy after all of this. And it's making me a bit depressed.

5. Just finished reading Youth in Revolt, by C.D. Payne. Yes, the movie of the same name that stars Michael Cera is based on this novel. It's a really fascinating (but long) read. I don't remember the finer details when I watched the film, but this book is just hilarious and greatly entertaining. The movie certainly lacks the more graphic details the book describes. This kid is 14 years old and he's simply intelligent, devious, and sexually promiscuous beyond belief. It's awesome. I realized I hadn't been jotting down favorite quotes, except this one towards the end:

"Consider, if you will, the morning boner. What a metaphor of hope and renewal! How can anyone give way to despair when one's groin greets each new day with such a gala spectacle of physiological optimism?"

Hilarious. Also because of this book, I'm interested in trying to listen to more Frank Sinatra. We'll see.

6. Also just found out 18 of the 20 students (myself included) in my creative writing class this semester are girls. This should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment